Monday, April 4, 2016

Memory Keeping

While some classify Project Life as a different type of craft, I think of it as a type of scrapbooking.  You take pictures and pretty papers, put it all together, then slip the finished product into page protectors.  Regardless of how you define the two, what's really great is that you can combine both into one album and they share the same goal: memory keeping.  This is my second year doing this, but I do selective memory keeping.  My reason for memory keeping developed in late 2014, when I started dating my current fiancé.


When we started dating, there were little moments that were so dear to my heart: 4 hour phone calls, silly text messages, our firsts, and cute mistakes.  I vowed to never forget those moments, but after some time, I was left with the memory of the promise, not the memory itself.  After considering scrapbooking, something I tried to get into while I was in college, I came across Project Life on Pinterest.  All great things are on Pinterest, right?


Scrapbooking at first was too hard for me, I failed miserably in college, but this seemed doable.  Project Life doesn't require creativity.  All it requires is living life, in every definition possible.  For some, living life means kids; for others, it's traveling.  For me, it's enjoying my life with my best friend (in NYC).  When I say "enjoy," I don't mean just the good times.  I always include the bad times too.  What I do is memory keeping, not "make my life seem glamorous" keeping.  My fiancé and I look through the scrapbooks and while we love the good memories, we especially linger on the bad.  We reflect on those times and we learn from our mistakes.  We track our progress and appreciate each other more.

I'll be sharing some project life spreads as I go and maybe I'll write up a post on how I go about putting my spreads together :)


Links to companies mentioned:
Pinterest
Project Life

No comments:

Post a Comment